One woman's quest to remember her mother and find herself. I am who I am, in very large part, because I am my mother's daughter. But she never wrote down her stories like I wished she had. So, this is where I will tell my stories before it's too late.

Saturday, December 31, 2005

Unsuspected Karma

My mom grew up in a tiny little house in SE Portland, Oregon with her parents, three sisters and a brother. There may have been pets, I don't know. This crowded condition may have been the source of her tolerance for frequent live-in guests.

When I was about 14 or 15, after many years of live-in guests, sometimes friends, sometimes family, even if not especially, during the lean years, I asked her, "Mom? Why do we always have other people living with us? How come it's never just us?"

She said, "Well, they needed us. And someday we'll need help and someone will be there for us."

She would never have called it karma, but that's exactly what it was. What goes around, comes around--a Western phrase for an Eastern concept. Turns out everyone believes in the Golden Rule. How about that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home