One woman's quest to remember her mother and find herself. I am who I am, in very large part, because I am my mother's daughter. But she never wrote down her stories like I wished she had. So, this is where I will tell my stories before it's too late.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Seven Already?


I haven't seen my mom in seven years. Seven years and one week. But who's counting. I don't actually count the weeks, but I just happen to know.

I also know it's getting easier because it was only just today that I realized July 19th was coming up. That's huge progress. It used to be, "Hi, my name is Karin and my mother is dead." A big black line separating life as I had known it, from living hell. Five years ago I was actually required to go to a company picnic on July 19th and have fun, damn it. It was agony. So, for her death date to kind of sneak up on me like that; it's a big deal. A good sign.

This is the last picture of her. Everyone was gathered at her house for a party--having fun. She died about 12 hours later. Then everyone gathered there again the next day--ever so much less fun. She lived 60 years, 4 months and 15 days. But who's counting.

I miss you, Ma. I love you so much.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tereza said...

It's so powerful to see someone's picture and then read: "She died about 12 hours later."

I'm so glad you are coming to peace with your mom's death; that you can think of her, and treasure your memories with her, but live in her light instead of in the shadow of her death.

5:26 PM

 
Blogger Karin said...

Thanks. That means a lot to me.

5:59 PM

 
Blogger Dora said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog(s). Stop by any time. I'm trying to get better at updating, but sometimes life gets in the way. Plus, it's always nice to meet a friend of Bethie's.

4:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home